It was reported recently on the news that the use of Cannabis was being legalized in other countries as part of recreational purposes despite the backlash it has been receiving from the conservative parties. This sudden change of moral stance from the constitutionhas made everyone baffled including you. In this article, we will know the reasons behind its legalization.
Difference between Cannabis and Marijuana
Oftentimes, “cannabis” and “marijuana”are used interchangeably by the masses. But in the medical field, these two have a slight difference. Cannabis is a general term for all products derived from the Cannabis sativa plant whereas marijuana refers to the different parts of Cannabis sativa that contains a significant amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). All cannabis plant contains 540 chemical substances in which cannabinoids is also a component. Cannabinoidscan be typified into two namely cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The chemical component THC givesa high effect while CBD does not.Those types of cannabis that contain a minute amount of THC are considered “industrial hemp” as stated in the U.S. law. The one that is popular tothe users is Marijuana due to its psychoactive effect and the sudden boost inproductivity or creativity it gives. Marijuana can be smoked, brewed, or even mixed in foods because of its edibility.
Health Benefits of Cannabinoids
According to some studies, cannabis has the following medical benefits due to the presence of cannabinoids that aids in treating or alleviating some diseases:
- reduces anxiety
- ease chronic pain particularly neuropathic pain or nerve injuryrelated
- aids in decreasing opioid use
- helps in treating epilepsy
- boost appetite specifically to HIV/AIDS patients
- eases inflammation of bowel-related diseases such as Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- improves movement disorders of people with Tourette syndrome
- improves spasticity due to multiple sclerosis
- aids in treating nausea and vomiting related to chemotherapy
- relieves symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Despite its therapeutic claims, the use of marijuana is still illegal in other countries because of the possibility of substance abuse. For this reason, some people undergo THC detox to comply with some legal requirements particularly for job applications locally or abroad.